Child has cold, cough and fever. On nebulisation. Is prolonged nebulisation safe?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My son is a year old and he is prone to cough and cold. For the past couple of months, he has been having cough and cold with fever off and on. The regular treatment advised by our local peadatrician has been nebulisation. The doctor's have conducted a couple of blood tests which have indicated general virals and hence have suggested to continue with nebulisation. Just for information, the weather has been transforming and in between couple of other family members also had cough, cold and viral fever. My query is a) how can I restrict my son catching this virus again and again b) is prolonged nebulisation safe for my child. Grateful for your opinion.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Welcome to HCM!

The treatment for your on is OK.
He has been given antibiotics and cough syrup.
Nebulisation for wheezing is OK ad is better than giving syrup of same medicine --- because it acts in small amount directly on the lungs. Do not worry!
You can continue for longer time if needed and if wheezing is documented.No problems.
Only it should not be misused!( used wen there is no wheezing)

Reg preventing viruses, viruses are plenty all over the world and seasonal,mostly in winter!
They are spread by air and do not respond to antibiotics.
There are flu vaccines available every year but not 100% sure to prevent the flu!!!!!
This is because next season another virus will circulate!!!
When he grows he will get over from this automatically.
Reg wheezing, if there is no family history,he will outgrow that also with growth.

All kids in the first 2 years get at least 6-8 infections !!
Just give him good diet,do not expose to crowded places ,and people with flu should not handle him!
These are general precautions for any infection including viruses.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child has cold, cough and fever. On nebulisation. Is prolonged nebulisation safe? 5 minutes later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your revert. At times, He has severe cough/ cold (maybe wheezing is not there) yet the medication is nebulisation. Is there any issues with that?

Just wanted to have a second opinion out of curiosity as his nebulisation is on for a long time now.

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later

When wheezing is mild only the doctor can hear it with the stethoscope.
When it is more severe , there may be audible wheeze and even difficulty in breathing can be seen.
So it depends on what your doctor hears in his chest.
Wheeze is actually a whistling sound which is produced when air passes through narrowed bronchi( tubes within the lung)!

You are welcome to ask second opinion and clear your doubts.
Wishing your son speedy recovery

Dr Uma