Child had strep throat and coxsackie simultaneously. Now has fever again. Blood work showed anaemic. Suggest?

About a month ago my 2 yr old had strep throat and cosackie at the same time. Now he has a fever again why does he have reoccurring fever blood work showed his anemic
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Sore throat in your child with isolation of Streptocoocus and Coxsackie virus simultaneously is quite common in children the world over. The streptococcal infection would have been controlled by appropriate antibiotics then.

The recurrent fever now may again require tests done earlier to confirm that it is the same streptcoccus this time too. Unfortunately, this is a known feature of this infection and children may sometimes get upto 4 infections a year. You earlier doctor should be able to diagnose clinically with this.

Coxsackie viral infection unfortunately does not have specific treatment but definitely the sore throat can be managed appropriately. The preventive steps you may wish to consider is a good hand wash hygiene to be taught to your child as this has shown positive results in studies to prevent several infections that children get from close contact in the long run.

The presence of anemia might also have contributed to these infections as the immunity would have touched the lower levels. Depending on this severeness, good diet or medications as required by the doctor again will help.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Child had strep throat and coxsackie simultaneously. Now has fever again. Blood work showed anaemic. Suggest? 5 hours later
Can the cause be the pacifier which can cause ear and throat infections
Is it normal for a fever to last one day as his fever since last nite or will he develop something and fever was the start
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 28 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup questions.

Yes, pacifier can be a one of the causes in case it is not suitably cleaned everyday. The throat, ear and nose are interconnected closely above the throat for humans hence these infections can spread if not adequately treated in time.

Yes, fever is a protective body mechanism that is caused a result of byproducts of substances that fight against infections. These are called pyrogens. High fever may be harmful if prolonged - but moderate fever and transient at that (1 day in your child's case) may not pose much problems. But, the periodicity of any fever must be closely observed if it is repeatedly occurring on every alternate day/ 2 days because some endemic fevers also need to be evaluated and this information will be vital when your doctor takes the history.

Just follow the medical advice and seek attention whenever necessary.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.