Child with enteric fever with febrile convulsion. Blood screen test has shown S.typhi meningeal enhancement. Treatment?

Hi my daughter is 19 months old and has been reported enteric fever with febrile convulsion first episode.
blood c/s showed S.typhi meningeal enhancement. CSF was normal. in the hospital antibiotics inj. ceftriaxome & Amikacin were given. at the time of discharge after 7 days syp zifi (100mg/5ml) & Bioimmune syp has been advise. she was doing good after discharge from hospital but suddenly during the oral antibiotic course she got again fever with out cold and cough. Dr suggested to give Oflox 100syrup(2.5ml) and Aziwok 200(2.5ml) twice time for 7 days. he again advised 2 do some blood and urine test 4 investigation. all the reports were normal only he told that she got some new viral infection. her antibiotic course was over but still she is having low grade fever 99.5 and started cold n cough. what should i give her for cough, fever and to boost immunity.m very much worried about her fever. plz advice me best treatment and suitable diet for her.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 36 minutes later

I understand your concern.

Your daughter has already taken so many courses of antibiotics and as all her

test reports are normal you need not to worry.

After enteric fever there is decreased immunity and there are increased chances of bacterial and viral infections.

I suggest you to record her temperature every 6 hourly,since she had an episode of febrile convulsions.

In case it is above 100F give per dosage.

For cold and cough give steam inhalation.

Give benadryl as per dosage 1 to 2 times a day.

-Give plenty of fluids.
-Give soft bland diet,boiled vegetables,fruit,rice porridge.
-Give honey with few drops of ginger and lemon in warm water 2 to 3 times a day.
-Continue with syp bioimmune

Hope I have answered your query.In case you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless..

Follow-up: Child with enteric fever with febrile convulsion. Blood screen test has shown S.typhi meningeal enhancement. Treatment? 3 hours later
thanx alot Dr. for ur valuable suggestions. she is still having 99.5 fever. is this normal in these conditions? she is having cold and dry cough by which she is unable to digest any food even in liquid form. when i try 2 feed her she start coughing and vomit all. i gave Emeset syrup 2.5ml to control vomit during feed bu tshe is unable to take food.

plz advise medicine or any good home remedies for cold and dry cough. is this low grade fever normal in viral infection. can i give any medicine to control her ever. 5days back also her fever spike 99.5 to 102.5. so plz advise me best suitable medicine in this situation.
i started giving her pediasure too. any other suggestion to improve her immunity.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 42 minutes later
Thanks for your follow up.

I understand your concern.

She is having symptoms of respiratory infection and she is having post tussive vomiting.

In this condition physical examination of chest is required.

In the meantime give steam inhalation,warm fluids.

Do not force her to eat give only fluids initially and later slowly introduce

semisolids.Give pediasure only after her appetite gets normalised.

I am concerned regarding her fever ,if it continues to be on higher side I suggest

you to get her examined by pediatrician as I have already mentioned regarding

chances of recurrence of febrile seizure.

For fever paracetamol should be given 6 hourly if it is above 100F.

Take care..