Child had reaction to bee sting, with swelling and hot. Can I use levocetirizine?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
can I use levocetirizine to treat my son who is 14 and has had a very bad reaction to a bee sting. He had had increasingly severe reactions to bee stings - enormous swelling, very red and hot.
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can use levocerizine.

Detailed Answer:
Swelling and redness seems to be inflammatory in nature caused by a bee sting.
You can give him levocetrizine and a mild pain killer like acetaminophen for symptomatic relief.
Refrain from scratching because this may cause the skin to break down and an infection to form.
Use a topical corticosteroid-antibiotic (betamethasone-fusidic acid) combination cream that am sure any local pharmacist will supply you OTC (over the counter) in a situation such as this.
In case the swelling increases further or there is an intense pain then do consult your physician for stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.