Child had fever, blood test normal. Had red spots inside mouth, hand and neck with sore throat. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
On Tuesday morning my son had a fever, we did a blood test all shows ok. Wednesday, he had many red spots inside mouth, sore throat, Thursday morning, he had white patches in this mouth, white spots on tongue and red sports on hand, neck and two spots behind the ear
By the way he still has fever about 38.2 deg C
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 52 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

It seems your child is having a Viral fever with rash.

In some viral fevers there is associated mucosal ulcers in mouth, tongue, and palate in addition to exanthematous rash.

For fever, you can give Tylenol in prescribed dose every 8th hourly depending on the presence of fever.

If there is high grade fever, do tepid sponging with lukewarm water.

Give plenty of oral fluids to maintain hydration.

Ask him to take rest.

Give soft diet.

If the fever is persisting, or child activity decreases, or any signs of dehydration appears, consult the pediatritian for follow up and further management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child had fever, blood test normal. Had red spots inside mouth, hand and neck with sore throat. Suggest? 19 hours later
I do not understand your answer to my last question, can you please explain in a simoler way? Tkx.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back.

Viral fevers usually persist for 3 to 5 days.

This may be the cause for him to have fever still.

What medication at present is he having for fever?

Check his body temperature regularly.

Give his medication for fever as prescribed.

If the fever is persisting, or oral spots and rash is increasing in severity, consult the pediatrician again for reexamination.

Wish your son speedy recovery.

Regards.