Child got rashes on bumps after applying J&J moisturizer. Temporary relief by medicine. Alternate cure?

Hello Doctor,
I am querying this for my son who is 3 years old. He was born with fair complexion. But during first 6 months we havent applied the J&J moisturiser as a result his skin has toned to some extend. Later, he used to get rashes in his bumps. One of the dermatologists suggested to use cetaphil soap and to apply cetaphil lotion along with Atonide gel. When we apply it is under control. When we stop it arises again. For face, we are applying dermadew Caloe cream. Is there any other remedy??
Please suggest.
Thanks & Regards,
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 37 minutes later

Firstly I would like to dispel few doubts regarding a baby's change in complexion over a period of time.

Most of the babies are born with fair and pinkish skin. This pinkish tinge is due to the capillaries that are present underneath a newborn's thin skin. Most of the times we think that this is baby's original skin color however over a period of time as the skin thickens, color changes a bit too. Also when a baby is born his skin does not contain enough melanin or melanocytes. But with time the skin pigment and pigment producing cells mature and hence a slight change in complexion. Basically skin color is governed by genes.
So the use of J and J moisturiser has nothing to do with your child's skin colour.
As far as skin rashes over child's buttocks are concerned, those were most probably eczema lesions. As your child seems to have an eczema prone skin, I would advise you to continue with a mild soap and moisturizer on daily basis. This would prevent further recurrences of eczema. Cetaphil is a good choice to continue with. Do not use dermadew caloe cream over your child's face. It would serve no benefit.

I would also like to know if your child or anyone amongst the parents suffer from some kind of allergy like asthma or recurrent cold. Also if your child's skin is dry around eyes or if lesions like buttocks occur over other body areas.
Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.