Child got dent in thigh muscle. No bruise or pain. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My 2 1/2 yr old son has a dent in the thigh muscle of his left leg. No bruising, no recent booster shots or trauma to the area. He is not limping or favoring it and he doesn't say that it hurts when I apply pressure. Thoughts or feedback would be helpful is this urgent; what type of Dr should we make an appointment with if one is needed.

Thank You,
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 50 minutes later

A sudden appearance of a groove in the muscle could be due to fibrosis. To find out the cause and extent of the fibrosis, an MRI of the thigh will be helpful. Usually in the absence of any trauma, it happens due to benign causes and is not worrisome.

If the dent increases or become painful , you should consult a paediatrician or an orthopaedician.

Hope this information helps you.I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.