Child getting continuous sneezing in morning and have loss of appetite. Required treatment?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My son (4yr old) getting continuous sneezes after he wake up from bed. Mucous secretions also come out during sneezing. He do not get sneezing during day time/night.What may be the reasons for this. Kindly suggest me treatment. How it impacts his immunity/appetite as he also having low appetite we observed
His weight also not inecrasing much (now his weight is 12kg). He always resistant to eat food may be because of low appetite. Can you also suggest treatment for incerasing his hungryness
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 15 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

This is due to allergy.
It may be something feats to his environment,humidity,dust exposure etc.

You can give him antihistamine like cetrizine syrup 2 .5 mugs at bed time for 2 weeks and look for improvement.
Remember that this can make one kids slightly drowsy and sleep more.

Keep the bed , bed room,toys etc, dust free. Vacuum if possible o remove fine dust.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child getting continuous sneezing in morning and have loss of appetite. Required treatment? 7 minutes later
What about appetite , my second query .pls see above
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 14 minutes later
Reg appetite, there is no specific drug without side effects to be used as appetite stimulant.

You have to give him high protein,high calorie diet,- rice,lot of lentils ( paruppu - toor dhal, Bengal gram ,).egg, juices,sweets,milk etc.

Whatever that goes in should be calorie dense to compensate for the amount!
Give him a general multivitamin and multi mineral tonic like
A-z or visynerol.

Hope his hemoglobin and liver functions have been tested to rule out the causes of decreased appetite.
Because for a 4 old, 12 kg weight is quite low.( unless his birth weight was very low)

Correction of anemia also will improve the appetite.

Take care,

Dr Uma

Follow-up: Child getting continuous sneezing in morning and have loss of appetite. Required treatment? 11 minutes later
Yes he has low Hb 10 g/dl..liver tests were not done. His birth weight is 2.25kg. He has slight darkness under his this because of low nutrition/ Hb.Many thanks madam for ur answers and help
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 21 minutes later
Yes, can be due to anemia.
Please get prescription from your pediatrician for an iron tonic,( many brands are available - fesovit, tonoferon, ferroglobin etc) and start with 1 tsp daily and after 2 weeks increase to twice a day.
Also give iron XXXXXXX food like greens ( keerai),ragi XXXXXXX etc.

Keep changing the taste of food so that he may get interested to eat!

Along with the next blood test, get his liver function tests,urea,creatinine tested as a baseline .

Good luck in your endeavour!

Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child getting continuous sneezing in morning and have loss of appetite. Required treatment? 9 days later
Hello doctor, i got my son's reports, pls see below (as i could not attached reports due to large size) and suggest me how we can improve his health
Pls refer to the previous XXXXXXX for his health history

Haemoglobin- 11.7 gm% (13.5-18gm%)
RBC- 4.55 M/cmm (4.5-5.5 M/cmm)
Total WBC- 7,600/cmm (4000-0000/cmm)
Neutrophils: 55 % (40-75)
Lymphocytes: 34 % (20-45)
Eosinophils: 4% (1-6); Monocytes :7% (2-9%)
Basophils : 0 (0-1%)

Blood urea- 20mg/dL (10-50)
serum creatinine: 0.8 mg/dL (0.6-1.5)

Total Bilirubin : 1.1 mg/dL (0.2-1)
Direct bilirubin: 0.26mg/dl (0-0.2)
Indirect bilirubin: 0.84
SGOT: 24 IU/L (up to 40)
SGPT: 36 IU/L (up to 38)
Alkaline phospatase: 344 IU/L (250-770)
total protein : 6.2 g/dl (6-8)
Albumin: 3.9 g/dl (3.5 -5.5)
Globulin: 2.3 g/dl
A/G ratio 1.7
My daughter ( 6 months old) is getting cough intermittently since last 3-4 days. She does not have increased surface body temperature but looking dull. Her nose also little wet some times in these days.

Pls suggest medication/treatment
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Hi again,
Your son's results are fine.
Liver functions are normal.
Hemoglobin is improving.
Pl continue iron syrup and multivitamin syrup like visynerol each 1tsp daily.
Follow my advice given earlier.

Reg the other child,it may be the beginning of flu.
The viral infections make the baby tired .For fever give paracetamol syrup like P125 ---3 ml when there is fever.

For cold you can give anti histamine syrup like T mimic 3 ml 2 times per day and show her to the doctor if cough increases.

Good luck

Dr Uma.