Child getting cold and cough frequently. Should I be concerned?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hello Doctor

my 3 year old daughter starts coughing badly when she runs for some time or keeps jumping. I am not sure if this is normal or not.

I used to have allergic asthama in childhood which was triggered by dust and smoke. Now however, I have no such problem. She also gets cold/cough frequently.

What can we do to ensure that she does not have this problem?

Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Nikul Patel 15 hours later

Since your daughter has cough and you have history of asthma in your child hood, you are worried whether your child too gets the same problem.

Such possibilities do exist, but unfortunately cannot be identified at the early age.

There are medications to protect her and prevent her from developing the asthma; I suggested you to start her following medicines for long duration around one year and then followed by a dose of 15 days in every season change for 3 years.

1. Sitopaladi churna 1/2 grams twice a day with pure honey
2. Syrup bresol 5 ml thrice a day (himalaya)
3. Balchaturbhadra syrup 5 ml twice a day
4. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ras 1 tab once a day with honey.

Avoid chilled water, bakery food, cold drinks, chocolate, cheeze, paneer etc
Protect her from cold waves and cold air.
Avoid air conditioned or maintain temperature around 26 degree celcius around her always.

Dr. Nikul Patel
Ayurveda Consultant