Child drinking a lot and urinating a lot, sticky, bed wetting

my five year old son has been drinking a lot and peeing a lot and has started to wet the bed he get up to go potty twice a night and still wets his pull up well just an hour ago i went to change his pull up and hes sticky almost as if he spilled juice on himself but i know he did not i thought bed wetting may have just been normal but the sticky pee not sure
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Your son is drinking a lot, because he is peeing a lot. Increase in blood sugar level and both can result in increased frequency of micturition.

If his parents are not having any history of diabetes, chances of high sugar are few, but chances of Urinary tract infection are more. Sticky pee is also suggestive of Urinary Tract Infection.

As your child has been drinking a lot, peeing a lot, and going to potty twice a night, the pediatrician would run the following tests:-
(1) T.& D.L.C.,
(2) Fasting and post prandial blood sugar,
(3) Urine (Routine) &
(4) Stool Test

My opinion may improve if you can please let me know following details also:-
(1) How many times in a day your son goes to potty ?
(2) His stools are formed, semi liquid or liquid ?
(3) What is the color of stools ?
(4) Does he feel burning sensation during micturition ?
(5) Fever &/or swelling over face is present or not ?

You should consult & discuss all the reports with your paediatrician, who will be in a position to examine your son personally.

Wish your son good health & speedy recovery.