Child diagnosed with swimmers ear and outer ear infection. Having unhealed eardrum. Had oral antibiotic. Use ciprodex drops?

ENT Specialist
Question
My Daughter is 5yrs old. Couple of days ago on holiday she has been diagnosed with swimmers ear and a middle and outer ear infection. One ear has a an unhealed ruptured eardrum, the other ear has a grommet. I is okay to use the ciprodex eardrops that were prescribed for both her ears? I was worried that the drops may damage her eardrum further. She also has an oral antibiotic for 5 days.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ciprodex safe,Rule out Otomycosis, Avoid swimming

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query

1. Ciprodex drops are safe and not ototoxic.

2. Get her ears checked to rule out Otomycosis (fungal infection).

3. Standard precautions after grommet insertion always include instructions to strictly avoid swimming, even with ear plugs until the grommets are extruded. The same applies to perforations of the ear drum.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child diagnosed with swimmers ear and outer ear infection. Having unhealed eardrum. Had oral antibiotic. Use ciprodex drops? 39 minutes later
Her consultant advised that she could swim with earplugs insitu. She may have the perforation for years until she is bigger and can have the perforation repaired. Therefore she would not learn to swim. Do you think it would be wise to see her consultant again to get her ears checked properly?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Perforation and grommet incompatible with swimming

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. It is not possible to keep the ears dry every time, even with ear plugs.

2. It is better to repair the right side ear drum and let the grommet placed in the left ear be extruded before going for regular swimming.

3. At the age of 5 years, adenoid hypertrophy should be ruled out as a cause for her ear problems.

Regards.