Child developed hard pea sized lump on head. Should I be worried?

Hi my 15 month old little girl has developed today a hard pea sized lump on her head across from her ear towards the back she doesn't like you touching it and she has been falling over more today and clumsy also her talking is mumbled is this anything to be worried about.
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 2 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The pea size lump you are talking of is probably an infected lymph node swelling. The site of swelling you have mentioned is of a lymph node draining the scalp. So infections of the scalp and head lice can lead to tender lymph nodes in that area.

Boil is another possiibilty which are painful swelling with raised local temperature and redness. These occur anywhere in the body and are associated with high grade fever.

To confirm the diagnosis you need to take your child to a paediatrician. A week course of antibiotics resolves the infected lymph nodes. If it persists then it requires biopsy for evaluation.

I hope I have answered your query.