Child coughing when eating, no trouble swallowing. Any ideas?

2 days ago my 10 year old daughter started coughing as she was eating. She only coughs when she eats and after the meal it stops. Drinking water does not help. She does not have trouble swallowing while eating. She says nothing is stuck in her throat and can't explain why she is coughing. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 5 hours later

Coughing 'while eating' has several reasons. In this 10 years age group coughing while eating occurs due to myopathies involving the pharyngo-laryngeal muscles, bulbar palsy, laryngo-pharyngeal reflux, gastro-esophageal reflux, tracheo-esophageal fistula, etc. We will need to rule out the aforementioned conditions, therefore I suggest you to consult an ENT specialist who will examine your child properly and evaluate as needed.

Sometimes it may the initial presenting feature of childhood asthma. You also need to consult a pulmonologist.

Oral pharyngeal video swallow, barium swallow upper GI series, fibre-optic laryngoscopy needs to be done for proper evaluation of the problem.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you have more queries you may write back to me.

Dr. Arnab Maji