Child coughing, runny nose and trouble in breathing once in a day. After Asthalin it go away. Reason?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
This is regarding my son Advaith's health.
He is 1 year and 9 months old and weighs around 8 KG. His birth weight was 2.8 KG.

He has this problem where once every day he starts coughing During this time he has running nose and trouble breathing. When this happens we give him Asthalin syrup and the symptoms go away in around an hour.

This is happening for around 3 weeks now. Last time we had gone to hospital for this, he was given antibiotic, because then he had fever.

what do you think is the problem ? Is he allergic to something ?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your son may be suffering from allergic rhinitis and bronchitis.

As you have mentioned, he gets cough and running nose and breathing trouble and the very fact it disappears with asthalin means your kid has some kind of allergy. But infection is unlikely.
Antibiotics are usually not needed for allergic cold/cough. Simple decongestants and dust/smoke avoidance should help him. If the problem persists do consult your pediatrician and ask for allergy tests (to find the triggers) and he may prescribe monteleukast and levocetrizine.

Don't worry this is a safe medicine, if given under supervision. It helps in controlling allergy.

Giving asthalin alone will help him temporarily, but would do nothing to control allergy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wishing your kid good health

Dr Arun