Child complains of sore testicles causing pain while walking. Had injured leg few days back. Guidance?

My six year old son is complaining of sore testicles over the last two days. Says it hurts when he walks. He is not in agony, just says sore. He hurt the back of his leg three days ago on a slide at school and 24 hours later started complaining about his testicles.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

If he is complaining of sore testicles and the complaints are persistent, its worth doing a formal investigation to exclude a possible pathology.

The commonest cause of sore testicles of acute onset would be a testicular torsion or a torsion of a testicular appendage. This is usually accompanied by a pain, severe and nausea and vomiting. However, kit could absent in some cases.

It is interesting that he gets examined first by his family physician to elicit specific characteristic reflexes to see if its a torsion, a torsion of an appendage or an inflammation of the epididymis, although rare in this age group. Depending on the case, a doppler ultrasound might be required to check the blood flow.

I think it should not be something very serious, but serious clinical and common syndromes like testicular torsion must be excluded, in case he is actually complaining persistently.

Thanks and best regards. Feel free asking any further questions if need be.

Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Child complains of sore testicles causing pain while walking. Had injured leg few days back. Guidance? 3 hours later
Thank you. He does not complain of pain when the testicles are examined. In fact, he is now saying the pain is centralized just above the penis in the lowest part of the abdomen. It doesn't appear to limit his activity. I was concerned of torsion but don't think that is the case unless you say otherwise. Could it be hernia?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 13 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

From your description, I would honestly find it difficult thinking it should be a hernia, though its a possibility, but a bit rare to present itself as such. In case it were a hernia, especially in boys, these hernias usually follow a tract down to the testes and are usually accompanied by swelling of the inguinal region of the testes.

I actually suggest close monitoring, and in case symptoms continue, it might be advisable to get him consulted by his pediatrician. For now I suggest very close observation.

Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.