Child become adamant and bully kind. Don't want to study, having low concentrating power. Any advice?

My child is 3.3 yrs old. he has become very adamant and very bully kind of child. he doesn't want to study also, as he has having very low concentration power. I dnt want to hit him or scold him for everything. Kindly advice
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 2 hours later

Thank you for the query

I do understand your difficulty

You stated in your question that "I dont want to hit him or scold him for everything" this means I guess, sometimes or often, may be you are scolding or attempting to hit him or hitting him. Kindly correct me if I am not right.

If this is going on, your behavior per se or any other family problem or any disharmony between parents of the child, not providing other sources of pleasure or need to the child etc can cause decrease concentration, disinterest in study.

But, before coming to conclusion that these are the causes from such a short description, it is always strongly advisable to consult a pediatrician first (to rule out any medical causes), because you say that he has become very bulky recently. As sometimes, some medical conditions responsible for weight gain can also cause decreased concentration, lack of interest in study etc.

Hope I could address your concerns

I am confident consulting a pediatrician and then a psychiatrist should help. I am available in future for further discussion

All the best, XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Child become adamant and bully kind. Don't want to study, having low concentrating power. Any advice? 5 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your response!!!

Doctor, i don't hit him, just a bit of scolding is there. Moreover, our family environment is also very healthy...and we try our best to fulfill his needs in best possible way..

im sorry...but i meant he has become bully..not bulky..
he doesn't hit me or my husband but by his behavoiur he has become bully.

kinldy suggest
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Thank you XXXXXXX for correcting me, I am sorry for misinterpreting. Then in that case there may not be any need for pediatrician consultation

Little bit of stubborn/adamant and bully like behavior is usually normal in this age, may be up to 5 to 6 years of age, unless it is associated with impulsivity, hyperactivity etc ( could be ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)

And, the response on our previous discussion, you may look into.

Sometimes, discussing with parents of same age children, employing effective parenting techniques, can help you in this regard.

Still, you feel that you need an assessment then Dr Shoba Srinath or Dr Sekhar Seshadri or Dr XXXXXXX Girimajhi are the best child psychiatrist at Bangalore

Wish your child a happy, healthy and prosperous career ahead