Chest xray showed small calcification in the left hilar region. Reduced smoking. Should I be worried?

I am 37 yrs old and a stockily built at 6.1" height with 101kgs weight.. My X XXXXXXX of the chest says small calcification can be seen in the left hiller. I have shown it to the doctor and consulted. He has opined that nothing to worry but cut down on cigarettes as such (since I am a smoker) but that has left me in doubts.
I have since then cut on my smoking by as much as 98%. Please do give your thoughts how would this calcification go and when?
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your xray chest shows small calcification in the left hilar region. Calcification is a sign of old healed lesion (A previous episode of bronchitis or lower long time and usually does not go since calcification is usually an irreversible process.

2. Since you are a smoker, you definitely need to quit smoking. Also a pulmonary function test is recommended in you.

3. At present , if you do not have any symptoms then there is no need to worry.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra