Chest x-ray showed smoking damage to lungs. Had cough and TB. Taking antibiotic. Prognosis?

Jun 2015

I have a chest x XXXXXXX which says I look like I have smoking damage to my lungs. Never smoked, parents did not etc
Did have TB as a child. Could what they are seeing be damaged caused by this. TB 38 years ago
Had cough for about 8 weeks had one lot of antibiotics 3 weeks ago recently been given another. Nothing seems to help it. Feel exhausted sice keeps me awake.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 24 minutes later

Smoking causes damage to the lungs in the following way:
1. Damage to the elastic tissues of the airways
2. This causes destruction of the normal architecture of the lung tissue
3. Finally resulting in a condition called Emphysema (a type of COPD)

Though smoking has been attributed as the main etiological cause for this pathology, similar condition can also occur due to:

1. Exposure to toxic gases or fumes in the workplace
2. Exposure to heavy amounts of second hand smoke(passive smoking) and pollution
3. Frequent use of cooking fire without proper ventilation

Though damage due to TB can also present with a similar picture, the role of TB which has occurred 38 years ago is not much significant.

So, it will be better to consult a Pulmonologist & get a proper physical examination done.
Depending upon that, proper management steps could be taken.
Investigations like Pulmonary Function Tests will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

Wishing you a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.