Chest pain, swollen lymph node. EKG, blood work and chest x-ray normal. Would cancer show on tests?

I went to the ER for chest pains a couple of months ago and I had an EKG, some bloodwork and a chest x-ray. Everything came back normal and they determined it was anxiety.

Now I'm freaking out because I have some swollen lymph nodes (one in my neck, and one at my collarbone--which I read is NOT GOOD!) and I'm wondering if I just had a chest x-ray, what all would that show..? Would it show any masses/tumors/cancer in my lungs or breasts? Or would it have shown any swollen lymph nodes in my neck or collarbone area? I'm not sure exactly what areas are covered and what is seen in an x-ray.

And do you know what bloodwork is usually run when checking for things like heart attack?

Lastly, I had a CT scan recently for possible brain tumor, would that have picked up any swollen lymph nodes in my neck at all?
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

EKG alone cannot help in ruling out the heart conditions.If you do have some genuine problems with the heart like rhythm disturbances, pain in the chest, palpitation etc, then there would be a need for a Tread mill test (stress test) this will unmask the latent condition and help in early diagnosis or to strongly rule out.

Swollen lymph nodes in the neck and above the collar bone usually suggest problems in the stomach or the breast.A Endoscopy for the stomach and a Mammography for breast will be ideal tools to rule out any conditions which cause such lymph node swelling.Lymph nodes can be seen in various conditions infectious to cancerous.

Troponin T and CPK MB (Creatinine Phospokinase) are two tests which ascertain the heart well being.

No the CT scan for the brain limits its use only with the brain and the bony cranial cavity.Neck has to be imaged separately.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.