Chest pain, high heart beat, talking, looks normal. Is it serious?

My grand dad has a heart beat of 130-140 and has chest pain, he is 70 plus and admitted in ICU..he is talking and looks it serious?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 58 minutes later

Thank you for posting your question here.

Your granddad has what is called a tachycardia. It can be caused my many things including acute anxiety states and thyroid disease. In his case though I suspect the cause might be a small myocardial infarction or heart attack given his history.

Tachycardia of itself is not serious. It depends on the underlying cause. Your grandad is in the best place possible.

I wish him well and hope he makes a full recovery quickly.

If you have any further questions please ask me. Otherwise I hope you can accept this answer.