Chest, face becomes red for few hours, heavy sweating after eating high sugar and carb foods. Reason?

My face and chest become very red for a couple of hours, and I perspire and feel hot after eating high-sugar or high carb foods. ? What is going on?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 2 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

The symptoms you are having after a heavy carbohydrate intake could be due to "Reactive hypoglycemia", that occurs exclusively after meals XXXXXXX in carbohydrates. It is also known as 'Alimentary' or 'Post prandial' (after meals) hypoglycemia. Hypoglcemia causes symptoms like sweating, flushing (redness), blurring of vision, dizziness and fatigue.

Reactive hypoglycemia is a condition where there is excessive insulin secretion due to rapid increase in blood glucose level and enhanced gut incretins. Incretins increase insulin and reduce glucagon secretion. This results in hypoglycemia causing a cascade of events like adrenaline release from adrenal medulla. This causes palpitation (increased heart rate) and sweating.

Persons having reactive hypoglycemia need not be a Diabetic. But, considering your age, you may be a prediabetic and you should rule out that possibility through blood tests.

Hypothyroidism often coexists with reactive hypoglcemia and that may as well be the reason for you. Extended GTT, your thyroid status (TSH, T4 and T3 values) will confirm the diagnosis. You should consult an Endocrinologist for further course of action.

In case of Reactive hypoglycemia, you should avoid taking large simple sugars (glucose XXXXXXX food) like fruit juice, sweets and eat small snacks and diet XXXXXXX in proteins.

I hope this helps.