Chances of getting HIV from wound?

sir/madam, before some days when I have gone to a pathological laboratory for a test my hand (having an fresh wound) touched some blood on the table of the lab(I don't know whether that blood is HIV infected or not). But I am sure that blood was collected at least before 15 mins (may be much more than that) from any other person. Is there any chance of HIV infection ???
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

From your query, there is little reason to worry about HIV transmission.

Following are the guidelines relating to HIV transmission in laboratories:

For health care workers on the job, the main risk of HIV transmission is through accidental injuries from needles and other sharp instruments that may be contaminated with the virus; however, even this risk is small. Scientists estimate that the risk of infection from a needle-stick is less than 1 percent, a figure based on the findings of several studies of health care workers who received punctures from HIV-contaminated needles or were otherwise exposed to HIV-contaminated blood.

Most exposures do not result in infection. Following a specific exposure, the risk of infection may vary with factors such as these:
The pathogen involved
The type of exposure
The amount of blood involved in the exposure
The amount of virus in the patient's blood at the time of exposure

The average risk of HIV infection after a needlestick or cut exposure to HlV-infected blood is 0.3% (i.e., three-tenths of one percent, or about 1 in 300). Stated another way, 99.7% of needlestick/cut exposures do not lead to infection.

There is no vaccine against HIV. However, results from a small number of studies suggest that the use of some antiretroviral drugs after certain occupational exposures may reduce the chance of HIV transmission. Postexposure prophylaxis (PEP) is recommended for certain occupational exposures that pose a risk of transmission. However, for those exposures without risk of HIV infection, PEP is not recommended because the drugs used to prevent infection may have serious side effects. You should discuss the risks and side effects with your healthcare provider before starting PEP for HIV.

You must report this matter to the administrator of the laboratory to know if the blood was drawn from a HIV positive person.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor.
Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from wound? 3 hours later
thank U madam. The incident I have described is before 7 days should I take the Postexposure prophylaxis ??? Can this Postexposure prophylaxis prevent the infection after 7/8 days ??? I asked the administrator but unfortunately he is unable to explain about HIV status of the blood which was fell on the table on that day(because no sample of the blood is available now and the blood was not taken for HIV test). But as I guess the amount of blood may be too small on the table(may be 2ml.) because it was not visible if we look superficially to the table unless we put a deep look and search the blood on the table . Is there still any chance of infection ???
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in with an update.

To be effective, Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) must begin within 72 hours of exposure, before the virus has time to make too many copies of itself in your body. PEP consists of 2-3 antiretroviral medications and should be taken for 28 days. Your doctor will determine what treatment is right for you based on how you were exposed to HIV. PEP is safe but may cause side effects like nausea in some people. These side effects can be treated and are not life threatening. PEP is not 100% effective; it does not guarantee that someone exposed to HIV will not become infected with HIV.

PEP is used for anyone who may have been exposed to HIV during a single event.
Healthcare workers are evaluated for PEP if they are exposed after:
Getting cut or stuck with a needle that was used to draw blood from a person who may have HIV infection
Getting blood or other body fluids that may have lots of HIV in their eyes or mouth
Getting blood or other body fluids that may have lots of HIV on their skin when it is chapped, scraped, or affected by certain rashes

The risk of getting HIV infection in these ways is extremely low—fewer than 1 in 100 for all exposures.

It is least likely that you have been infected. Please be careful next time.

Still you may follow the standard testing protocol for peace of mind.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Chances of getting HIV from wound? 45 hours later
thank U so much madam. Madam, I masturbate a lot . I have my semen (or some fluids exactly I don't know) discharged from penis when I talk to beautiful girls or get excited . My penis is also a bit curved to left. The semen is also discharged in toilet when I strain in the toilet . Are these symptoms of STD ? I don't have multiple sex partner even if I don't have sex partner. Is this type of STD increases the chance of being infected by HIV in normal contacts such as using toilet of infected persons etc.(where as normal persons don't get HIV by such type of casual contact. can a person having STD be infected by HIV by those modes which can't infect a healthy person ?). Please help me madam. Thank U so much.
Brief Answer:
You are normal

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome and thanks for writing in with an update.

The watery fluid is pre-ejaculate and it is discharged because you get sexually excited and is normal. It is not the symptom of any STD.

As it is unlikely that you have STD, there are no chances of being susceptible to infection with HIV for you.

Doing lot of masturbation might be causing you to discharge fluid.

I hope this helps.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor