Cervical cancer. On chemotherapy, radiation. Spread to bowels, kidney, pelvic areas. Could routine MRI have detected it?

My wife recently died at the age of 61 years. In 2006 she was diagnosed with adeno carcinoma of the cervix. She had a hysterectomy and adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation treatmment. In November 2010 after attending outpatient follow up visits and receiving examinations she was discharged as cured of this disease. In October of 2011 after underegoing 13 weeks of treatment and operation she died of a recurrence of the didease which had affected the bowel, kidney and pelvic areas.
For the sake of other ladies who may have this disease now; can you tell me why there is not a routine mri or ultrasound scan given to patients before they are discharged as my wife was in November 2010. I cannot believe that there wasn't signs of this disease in November of 2010 that could have been detected with scan or other tests?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 22 hours later

Yes, the chances of recurrence are always there and one should go for the routine as well as other tests like CT scan , MRI , X XXXXXXX chest etc
I think when they discharged your wife, they must not have detected any metastasis.

An oncologist can guide you better regarding this. As far as records are concerned, you can always ask for them

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further follow up queries.
Follow-up: Cervical cancer. On chemotherapy, radiation. Spread to bowels, kidney, pelvic areas. Could routine MRI have detected it? 31 minutes later
Thank you for your reply which goes some way to answering my question.
What I am trying to establish is why are scans, xrays or even high volt smears not carried out as routine on discharge of a patiient who has attended for all the follow up out -patient appointments and XXXXXXX given XXXXXXX examinations at each visit and on discharge? The only symptom that she was warned about was any signs of bleeding which she did not get.
My wife began to feel poorly within 2 months of her discharge although we did not and neither did her GP immediately relate this to her previous illness of cancer of the womb.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 16 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Yes, I totally agree with you that routine screening should be done like vault smears, X-rays, computerized tomography as well as XXXXXXX examinations, as and when they are required depending on individual cases and also in case of any suspicion of metastasis.

Cancer patients need to be treated in close monitoring of their symptoms and general well being.
I do this for my patients. I am sorry that your doctor has missed out on these.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. Wish you Good Health.