Cause and treatment for heel pain

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hello. i have had a heel spur (or maybe haglund's) for many, many years. the swelling can get about as large as a ping pong ball. most of the time it doesn't bother me anymore. but when it does, it's extremely painful, so much so that walking is impossible without a limp. about a month ago i was experiencing the worst pain i have had that i can remember. i was standing, talking to someone, then tried to take a step and i nearly fell down because of the pain. the pain in the heel as since subsided. but right after it happened the bottom of my foot and entire calf area swelled. and when i walk, it feels like that leg isn't quite there for me; kind of rubbery or wobbly...i can feel it, but it doesn't feel sturdy. and, the swelling on the bottom of my foot makes that leg feel considerably longer since it is raised. hence, walking has become a chore. again, it doesn't hurt, and i can walk, but only with a limp. what on earth has happened and will it ever heal? i elevate it and ice it but it seems to make little or no difference.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find the answer below. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX There are numerous causes and conditions that produce heel pain. But the commonest causes for - Pain "under" the heel is PLANTAR FASCITIS - Pain "behind" the heel is RETROCALCANEAL BURSITIS (Haglunds deformity) Xrays of the ankle joint and an MRI scan is necessary to rule out any other causes in and around the heel that are causing the symptoms. The management of either of the above mentioned conditions is by conservative methods which includes - * Relative rest and simple massage of the foot along with stretching exercises. Regular, gentle stretching of your Achilles tendon and plantar fascia may help to ease your symptoms. * Use of analgesic antiinflammatory medicines like Advil or Aleve as needed * Night splints may be useful to keep the foot in plantigrade position * Shoe inserts - Use of MCR (micronised rubber) or silicon heels (orthoses) in the foot wear so as to produce a cushioning effect and taking off the pain * Maintaining appropriate body weight so as to reduce the load bearing on the heels * Avoid wearing flat-soled shoes because they will not provide your heel with support and could make your heel pain worse. * Quit smoking, if you are a smoker * At times, a single injection of corticosteroid in to the area of maximum pain will provide good pain relief. * Extracorporeal shock wave therapy- In this procedure, sound waves are directed at the area of heel pain to stimulate healing. It's usually used for chronic plantar fasciitis that hasn't responded to more-conservative treatments. I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards