Ask a Urologist   »  

Cause and treatment for bloody urination along with burning sensation in the penis

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Monday morning I felt sore all over. Monday night I came down with a fever, 39C, vomittted twice, constipation and shakes. Tuesday all day I had the fever but it cooled by lunch time Wednesday I felt like I was recovering. Thursday my urine felt warmer than usual Friday morning it started to hurt to pee and got progressively worse from 9am. Current Symptons: Urine is very cloudy and dark yellow. When I dabbed my penis with toilet paper it seemed pinkish. The next time I went (10 mins later) i took a sample container and a red chunk is floating in it, it could be toilet paper but it's red. My underwear is black & blue so it cant be that. Constantly feels like I have to pee and I almost have to stop myself from peeing. My anus is a litle itchy (was itchier earlier in the morning but the feeling in my penis seems to override it now). I can feel some pressure on my bladder but I am used to feeling that (at least for 6 months) as I am overweight (118kg, at 176cm) and my belt tends to put pressure there when I sit. I assuming a UTI at this stage but the fever could mean something else. What do you reckon? I am seeing a doctor tonight but I like to get as much info as I can before I go in.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fever is due to urinary infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Bright red blood during urination along with a burning sensation in the penis and fever is suggestive of urinary tract infection.To confirm the diagnosis, you can get a routine urine examination done which will show pus cells and protein in the urine. If it is actually a urinary tract infection, then you need antibiotics to treat your problem. For symptomatic relief, you need to have plenty of fluids and do take plenty of fresh cranberry juice. Another possible cause can be a renal or a urinary tract calculus which is lodged in the tract somewhere and due to the mucosal injury it is causing, slight bleeding is there. For diagnosis, an ultrasound scan of lower abdomen is advisable. I would advice you to do the following 1. Seek medical attention as soon as possible for a urine routine and culture along with complete blood count and an ultrasound scan of the renal system including Prostate. 2. You will have to be put on antibiotics. Most commonly a Fluroquinolone like Tab Levofloxacin for 14 days followed by a repeat urine routine. 3. If the urine grows an organism the antibiotic can be changed to what that organism is sensitive to. 4. Drink plenty of water 5. Use protection during intercourse and your partner should undergo a urine routine as well. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL