Ask a Urologist   »  

Cause and treatment for Hematospermia?

Hello, I am a PGY4 GenSurg resident (32yrs old) and have had hematospermia for the past 6 months now. There have been a few instances where the semen is normalizing in color but as of late it has been more bloody. No blood is noted in my urine although there have been a few (2-3) instances in which there was trace blood at the very end of my stream as I tried to clear the last bit out. I do masturbate pretty frequently approx 2x per day, sometimes more now as I am becoming increasingly anxious about my condition. I have intermittent (difficult to pinpoint) perineal/groin discomfort which is by no means limiting. I self treated with 1 month of Bactrim for presumed prostatitis (consulted with one of my urology co-residents) but nothing has changed. Should I have taken Cipro?? Otherwise I have no other health issues and am physically active and fit. As you can imagine I am becoming increasingly concerned but everyone seems to think this will be self limiting and not to worry. Any advice would be appreciated.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hematospermia is a benign condition. Detailed Answer: Good Day and thank you for being with Healthcare Magic! Hematospermia is a benign condition and is self-limited. Almost all cases of Hematospermia is due to infection or inflammation or both. Ciprofloxacin would be the drug of choice since it has better prostate penetration but bactrim for one month should be enough to treat if you ever had infection. My advise wait it out and abstain from masturbation for 2 weeks I am pretty sure that your Hematospermia is gone by that time I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes. Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA