Can you suggest a good treatment for Zuska's disease ?

I've been being treated for zuska's disease and have had a surgury already for it along with about 8 months of antibiotics. It's still not gotten anybetter. After doing some research I dont think the doctor did the surgury right and I'm trying to find a specialist but have hit dead ends. Are there any resources you can provide? I'm 27 5'5 265 lbs and have hypothyroidism, MTHFR and hereditery spherocytosis. Thanks
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

Zuskas disease needs breast surgery with removal of fistulas and retroareolar tissue and ducts completely so that recurrent fistula formation stops. I need to know what kind of surgery was performed?

Regarding the disease, it is notorious for its recurrence unless whole of the retro areolar breast tissue is removed completely. After the surgery you will not be able to breast feed your baby from the operated side in case you plan for any babies in future. Being overweight also poses a problem in complete removal of the affected tissue.

Regarding a specialist in this field, a good breast surgeon would help you.

To find a good specialist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Can you suggest a good treatment for Zuska's disease ? 1 hour later
He basically went in and removed the infected tissue and cleaned out the breast and inserted drains. He advised me that the only thing to stop this would be to remove the nipples completely. I am seeing a breast doctor however he just continues to put drains in and keep me on antibiotics. As far as breast feeding he explained that too me before the surgury; as well as I didnt have much milk with my daughter and it was short lived so that is not a concern. I do know that being overweight, smoking and hypothroidism plays a part so I'm quitting smoking, I've lost 22lbs to date from March and am on Synthroid. I guess my biggest concern is having to keep going to different doctors until I can find someone who knows how to correctly do the surgury. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Removal of nipples is not essential but the surgeon after examination is the best person to decide which tissue can be saved during the surgery.

In my opinion the problem is with the disease itself. It is notorious for recurrence unless whole of the tissue underlying the areola and the ducts are removed. It is difficult to identify all the ducts in one go during the surgery with so much blood all over.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.