Can using crutches for 10 months cause costochondritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can using crutches for 10 months cause costochondritis? I weigh over 250 pounds.
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Costochondritis is an immune related problem.
Inflammation of costochondral joints is mostly due to a genetic predisposition. There are some autoimmune disorders also which need to be ruled out for their association like- fibromyalgia, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis reactive arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease (such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease).
Using crutches for 10 months is not likely to cause this problem. This seems to be a co incidence only.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.