Can they just take the thyroid nodule out?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have a thyroid nodule about 5cm non cancer and I have been told by my doctor that I need to have my thyroid taken out. Do they have to take the whole thyroid out? Can they just take the thyroid nodule out?
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need to remove whole thyroid. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. No, not always there is a need to remove whole thyroid. If the nodule is only in one lobe, half of the thyroid can be removed. But it all depends of the location of it and if there wont be other nodules. And even if the whole thyroid needs to be removed, this should not affect your life. Thyroid hormones supplements once a day is all you will have to take. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.

Follow-up: Can they just take the thyroid nodule out? 1 hour later
The nodule is on the left lobe and I was told it is about 5cm large. It has been that way for about a year. Is it better to remove the whole thyroid or just the nodule? My doctor said it would be better to take out the whole thyroid. Do you agree or disagree? Which do you think is better?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Well, considering that you are above 60 and the nodule is large, it is safer for you to remove almost whole thyroid (not whole). It is called subtotal thyroid resection. It is thought that large tumor and age over 60 are the risk factors of thyroid cancer. So the safest option for you is almost complete resection. There should be left a small part of thyroid so the hormones secretion would be sufficient. So I do agree with your doctor. Regards.

Follow-up: Can they just take the thyroid nodule out? 17 minutes later
Thank you for answering my questions.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are welcome.