Ask a Urologist   »  

Can the frequent urination with yellow potent smelling urine be a sign of diabetes?

I am an obese 25 year old male. 360lbs, 6'0". Lately, I have to urinate often. Sometimes, my urine is quite potent smelling and dark yellow. However, most of the time, it is a very pale yellow or clear. Could this be a sign of type 2 diabetes?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 23 minutes later

From the description provided by you, the following could be the most common possibilities:

1.Diabetes mellitus is a definite possibility as you have polyuria as a symptom. You need to get your fasting and post prandial blood glucose levels investigated. You are obese which adds a risk factor. And also if you have history of diabetes in the family.
2.The other option to rule out is a urine test should be done regardless.
3.You haven't mentioned any history of liver disease/alcohol consumption but I would like to rule out these causes since you have mentioned about your urine is dark yellow in colour.

Few blood and urine tests would be required for further evaluation which would be advised to you after an examination by a physician.

Hope this answers your query, In case of any doubts I am available for follow ups.

Wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Can the frequent urination with yellow potent smelling urine be a sign of diabetes? 2 hours later
I was tested for Type 2 Diabetes about two years ago and everything was normal. However, with my increasing weight, I have decided to check my blood sugar regularly and from time to time, I have high blood sugar, but not on a regular basis. I drink beer occasionally with a six-pack lasting me about a month. As far as I know, there is no history of liver disease or Type 2 Diabetes in my family. I do have a cousin on my mother's side of the family that has Type 1 Diabetes though.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 31 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for the follow up,

Diabetes on the maternal side is very significant.If you have high blood sugar on and off then you could be a border line diabetic.There is a high chance that it will become full blown diabetes in your 30's.From your history I am ruling out active liver disease for now.But I think that you should have some blood tests done esp sugar,lipid profile,liver function test,and urine test.

And last of all,you HAVE to control your weight.The gross obesity is a risk factor for heart disease in the future,with or without the diabetes.

Consult a professional about diet and exercise but you just have to do this.
You're only 25,and having so many risk factors at this young age is not acceptable.

Follow-up: Can the frequent urination with yellow potent smelling urine be a sign of diabetes? 1 hour later
One other question. This is actually unrelated to diabetes as far as I know. Sometimes, I get a sharp pain in the left side of my chest. This pain usually fades away in about a minute, sometimes less. As far as I know, I don't have high blood pressure. What can be causing these pains?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 minutes later
Yes, you probably are right.This doesn't seem to be related to diabetes.If this pain happens on and off and subsides on it own,then the possibility of muscular involvement is higher.But with obesity and diabetes,you need to be aware of possible heart disease also.Getting an EKG next time this happens will be helpful.