Can sudden chest pain while drinking water is due to dysphagia?

General Surgeon
Today I have suddenly developed pain sensation while drinking water. The pain is in the middle of my chest, both sides of my chest and near the ribs. Also it pains at the center of my back. The pain dissipates after a while but, its there. I have history of GERD and have been diagnosed with dysphagia. Something tells me its not dysphagia as I have had it since a long time. This symptom has started today and I am worried if its ulcer. Also I have long term hyperacidity. Pls help The chest pain is also being felt in the upper chest area (left and right). When I am not swallowing anything the pain is still there but, much less. Its around the chest and the back area. I can only describe this pain (while not swallowing anything) like small blunt needle poking from inside at numerous places in the chest and back. Although the epicenter is probably where it first hurts when I drink water. The pain is also felt sometimes in the right and left side of my upper back. While drinking water it feels like a blockage of some kind near my chest and that is where it hurts. I am not sure what else I should mention
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. This might be peptic ulcer indeed. As a GERD patient you should always be aware of stomach and esophageal issues. Such pain can appear due to esophageal spasm, esophageal narrowing, inflammation. Peptic ulcer is also possible. For sure you should have it checked with gastroscopy. Other issue which gives similar symptoms are gallstones. The pain is in the upper abdomen and radiates to the back. Nausea and vomiting appears. I suggest you to visit your doctor and have abdominal ultrasound and blood work (with liver and pancreas tests) first. Gastroscopy should be next. In a meanwhile, avoid cold drinks as it can cause smooth muscles spasm. Warm tea should be helpful and relax smooth muscles of esophagus and stomach. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Can sudden chest pain while drinking water is due to dysphagia? 40 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I will do as advised. Could it also be a chest infection as I have severe dust allergy and i sneeze like anything when theres dust around. Also, I have a history of lung/chest infection, chronic cold etc. I also have keratosis tonsils and pharyngitis. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Lungs infection gives fever and cough. The pain can be present when breathing in. Shortness of breath appears with asthma (associated with allergy). It does not radiate to the back. So your symptoms do not seem to be caused by lungs problem or any other infection. Regards.