Can spotting,backache and nausea be indication of pregnancy?

hi I am 43 years old. My period is due in 2 days, I had 4 days of spotting that ended last night. Today I am feeling nausea and dull lower back pain. My cycles are always dead on 23-24 days. I never spot in between. I did have sex 2 times during what would have been my fertile period. I did take a pregnancy test yesterday afternoon but it was negative. I am not having any of my normal period symptoms which usually are strong and would have started a few days ago. Is it possible I could be pregnant or could it be something else being that I am 43?
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Repeat Pregnancy test 2-3 days after missing perio Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXXXXX Possibility of Pregnancy cannot be completely ruled out in spite of negative pregnancy test. The pregnancy test has to be interpreted in light of the fact that , it has been done couple of days before even missing a period. Pregnancy test ( Home pregnancy test ) is reliable if done 2-4 days after missing the period. I would suggest you to get a repeat pregnancy test 2-4 days after missing the expected date of period( in case you don't get the regular bleeding like your previous cycle). In case the test is still negative then the symptoms you are having is unlikely t be due pregnancy. The spotting like bleeding in your case could be due to scanty menstruation seen in Peri-menopausal ladies. I suggest you to also get a routine Gynaecological assessment on apointment basis. Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. Take Care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD
Follow-up: Can spotting,backache and nausea be indication of pregnancy? 32 minutes later
Ok, thank you. May I ask you one more question? What do you personally feel my odds are of actually being pregnant vs perimenapause at my age? I'm not sure matters but I do have 2 children one 15 and one 11. I did bleed early with my first child. I was 28 at the time and just assumed it was my period early and never thought twice about it until I find out I was pregnant. I did not bleed with my second child that I can remember. Thank you.
Brief Answer: More Likely to be Peri-menopausal Detailed Answer: Hi The odds are more in favour of peri-menopausal. Repeating the pregnancy test is required. Spotting in your case could be scanty menstruation( sometimes the spotting like bleeding could be implantation bleeding as you had after your 1st baby). Do get back to me if you need any help, you can write directly to me. Take Care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD