Can sinus infection lead to pain and feeling of fullness in ears?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I have been on here before. I was having persistent headaches that were in specific spots on my head especially in the mornings. I am also having recurring sinus issues. I just got over a sinus infection to catch another one from my husband. this morning, I woke up with an achy, feeling of fullness in my left ear? could this be related to my headaches or more likely the congestion ive been feeling. in addition, ive been having intermittent tingling in my left foot and sometimes pins and needles in my left leg when sitting. thanks for your help.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. The fullness of your left ear is most probably related to the congestion and sinus issues, and not due to your headaches. So, once the congestion improves, this fullness would also go away. The tingling in the foot and leg are due to mechanical pressure on the nerves in the skin. They are minor issues and are not of concern. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: Can sinus infection lead to pain and feeling of fullness in ears? 1 minute later
how long will levaquin take to help this? I took the first dose today and am still having pain in and around my ear. im also still having headaches on the top.of my head...would pins and needles/pain in my left ring and pinky finger be due to the same thing?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Levaquin (levofloxacin) would take about 3-5 days to make you feel better. In then meantime, for pain relief, you could take additional medication such as ibuprofen or diclofenac tablet. Pins and needles in the fingers are related to involvement of the nerves in the hand, possibly due to mechanical pressure at the wrist level. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

ok...my head aches.below my ear that is hurting is this all related to the same thing with the sinuses? ive also beem bringing up a little blood with mucus. as you recall, I was the one with a few sinus infection and recurrent headaches.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Yes, I remember you well. The headaches below your ear is related to the sinuses. Blood and mucus could be due to minor throat infection, related to the sinuses. All would improve with levaquin. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Can sinus infection lead to pain and feeling of fullness in ears? 11 hours later
hi there...is it normal to have a little bit of hearing loss in that ear and for my lymphnode in my neck on that side to.be huge...even the next morning. im also still having tingling in my left foot and achiness in the fingers on my left hand.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Yes, it is common for the lymph node to get enlarged in cases of bacterial infection. Also, it is common for hearing to be slightly reduced due to sinuses. Tingling would improve slowly. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Can sinus infection lead to pain and feeling of fullness in ears? 0 minute later
ok...and I am still having recurring headaches in the same areas on the top of my head...is this due to sinuses rather than something serious? sometimes my whole leg tingles.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Headaches, which is most likely due to sinuses, would resolve and get better in 5-7 days. If symptoms persist after that period, an MRI scan of brain may be done later. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Can sinus infection lead to pain and feeling of fullness in ears? 3 minutes later
well as you know the twinges of aches in my head have been going on on and off for a few weeks...could this be due to something serious?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Twinges of aches do not suggest anything serious in the brain. However, you should look for other signs that could warrant a brain scan to look for something serious, such as headache on awakening, vomiting in the morning followed by relief of headache, drowsiness, weakness of arm or leg, fits, etc. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Can sinus infection lead to pain and feeling of fullness in ears? 2 minutes later
what is a fit? my headache does come in the morning but improves throughout the day. I dont have weakness in any limbs just the tingling. I have thrown up the past couple mornings but that was brought on by coughong ip phlegm from my sinus infection. should I be concerned about any of this? my headache is there when I wake up along with the achiness/tingling in my left foot/hand but it goes away.

Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: I have noted your symptoms and they are not of concern. Fits are also called as convulsions or seizures. In this condition, the sufferer may have jerky movements of the arms or legs, followed by loss of consciousness. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

o ok...no I have not experienced anything like that. I have had minor muscle spasms in my legs and occassional shakiness usually on my left side. Ihave also had a feeling ofbpins and needles in my palms...do you still believe this may all.still be related to.the spine rather than something like a brain tumor?

Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Good to know that you have not had seizures or fits. It is very reassuring. Yes, your pins and needles in the palms could be due to mechanical compression of the nerve at the level of wrist or cervical spine problem. This can happen with prolonged sitting, watching TV or using computers for long. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

my last question....ive noticed my head rwinges are in the same few spots but get better while im taking antibiotics such as a z pack or levaquin but come.back.as soon as those medications are done...is there any explanation.for.this? ive also noticed that my head hirts occassionally when I lean down. however, should I be concerned if different toes go numb occassionally and there is a lightening of skin on the bottom of my foot? this happens on both feet occassionally...

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: The headache may be coming back because of recurrence of sinus infection, which gets better with antibiotics. There is no need to worry about headache on leaning forwards, as it happens with sinuses. Also, you need not worry about numbness and lighting of skin. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

ok...thanks for all your help.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: Thank you and best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)