Can prostate gland be bruised during colonoscopy and can it cause rise in PSA levels?

Jul 2016

can your prostate gland be bruised during a colonoscopy ? can it cause your psa to rise if it's always been normal ?
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone colonoscopy very recently and has noticed elevation of your serum PSA after colonoscopy.

The serum PSA gets elevated due to friction of the flexible colonoscope or even with digital rectal examination by a finger while checking for enlarged prostate. That is the reason we collect blood samples to estimate serum PSA before doing per rectal examination.

If your serum PSA was normal before colonoscopy, you need not worry at all.
You can get it checked again after 2 weeks to be rest assured.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions, I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Can prostate gland be bruised during colonoscopy and can it cause rise in PSA levels? 7 hours later
doctor, on january 19, 2012 my psa was 0.6. i had my colooscopy on march 5 and the doctor was in there for a good 50 minutes. on my recent bloodwork taken on march 20th, my psa was 3.4. do you still believe this rise is do to the colonoscopy ?? it's been 15 days. thank you so much !

Your Serum PSA even after colonoscopy is within normal limits (3.4 ng/ml).
The higher side of normal range is 4ng/ml.

So do not worry at all. This can be considered as a normal variation which is common and can be due to colonoscopy (provided serum PSA was done within a week after colonoscopy).

Thanks and regards,

Let me know if you have any doubts. If all your doubts are cleared, please close this discussion and rate.