Can pradaxa and cashew nuts cause allergic vasculitis?

Allergist and Immunologist
Iwould likw to know if there has been reported Allergic Vasculitis with palpable purpura in patients ingesting Cashew Nuts and also on patients taking Pradaxa
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 56 minutes later

Pradaxa is dabigatran etexilate mesilyate and a drug approved for AF that you are using.

Post marketing surveiilance reports suggest about 0.06% of people developed vasulitis with use of Pradaxa (13 of 23,498 people on WWW.WWWW.WW , and would think that link is more important than cashew nut intake.

Of course, if cashew nut allergy already exists in the said individual, then the rash if appears within a few hours of nut ingestion, would be consistent with a nut allergic reaction. Antihistamines will be sufficient to control the reaction. Vasculitis is unlikely to occur due to nut allergy/allergic reaction.

However, I do not have personal experience of a nut allergic patient on dabigatran who developed vasculitis while consuming both the food and the drug.

Do get in touch with your Haematologist for some steroid creams for the rash.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.