Can physiotherapy damage the femoral nerve?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
How easy is it to damage femoral nerve in physiotherapy. I think I damage as my left leg is weak, although my doctor says nothing is wrong.
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not easy to damage femoral nerve by physiotherapis Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. It is not easy to damage femoral nerve by physiotherapy unless the physiotherapist uses high thrust velocity technique or the physiotherapist is untrained or quack etc. This technique involves mostly sciatic nerve and not femoral nerve. If you have any sign femoral nerve damage i.e sensation changes in the thigh, knee, or leg, such as decreased sensation, numbness, tingling, burning, a feeling of the knee "giving way" or buckling, pain, weakness of the knee or leg, including difficulty going up and down stairs , then you must consult your doctor. If previously your doctor has find nothing wrong, you can consult some other doctor. Your doctor would do your physical examination and advise you x-rays and if need nerve conduction studies. You may send me the physical report and report of investigations which he would advise you. Only then your diagnosis be made. Till then apply hot packs for 30 mins in morning and evening. If you have pain then, you can take medicine like painkillers + muscle relaxants by discussing it with your doctor. I hope it helps. You are welcome to ask further health related queries. Thanks. Dr.Singh. You should trust your doctor and do not make your diagnosis by your own.