Can pelvic CT and MRI detect hernia in groin area?

I have had 2 pelvic ct and also 1 MRI, done Checking for hernias etc. My question is, Would a Pelvic ct or Mri show hernias That would be found in the groin area in general? Or would a more detailed test like a ultrasound be more efficient when checking for any hernias in that general area? ( Groin area ) So far They have found nothing, But I am having continual abdominal - Hip area pains that have Yet to be identified/ I was wondering if a Ultrasound would be the next step in ruling out hernias that could have been missed by the ultra sound or Mri tests that have been already done . Thanks
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query Ideally ultrasound should have been the first step to rule out any type of abdominal pains however MRI/CT would definitely pick up a hernia far more accurately than ultrasound. There is no point in doing an ultra sound now, however I would like to add here that most CT/MRI will be only till the symphysis pubis and the external genitalia is missed so please do speak to your doctor in order to include that area as well ( it is usually done only when requested by the doctor ). The next step would be to ungergo colonoscopy and endoscopy if nothing shows up on the scan. At our hospital in such cases we take a biopsy of the large and small intestine during the procedure to rule out IBS as this is the most common reason for abdominal pain not showing up on scans. I hope I was of help to you, if you have any further queries please get back to me. I wish you good health and a speedy recovery Regards