Can nose blockage while indoors be treated ?

Hi, I suffer from this problem of blockage of nose.The problem is more in the night.Earlier the blockage would go away as the day progressed but now it continues.Nasivion gives relief.I have neither any pain nor any discomfort in the nose.There is also no discharge from the nose.There is no other obvert symptom.The problem eases outdoors.Please suggest remed(ies)
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 37 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query,

You seem to have problem of nasal congestion. The probable cause may be Nasal Polyps or Hypertrophied Turbinates. The exact diagnosis can be made by Nasal Endoscopy which is insertion of a small pen-sized probe in the nasal cavity under local anaesthesia. The nasal congestion is more related with allergies. So you must analyze the reason what you are allergic to.

It is not advisable to use Xylometazoline (Nasivion) drops in the long-term because initially they give relief from congestion, but over a period of time, xylometazoline drops lose their efficacy. Later on Steroid sprays have to be used. Repeated use of nasivion can also cause rebound congestion, which is a swelling of the nasal mucosa that can completely block the nose and cause a lot of discomfort.

A better alternative would be to go for steam inhalation. Steam is a natural decongestant and nothing (say eucalyptus oil or Vicks) needs to be added for its beneficial effect.Nasal strips are also available which increases the size of the nasal air passage allowing the patient to breathe properly.

Hope I have answered your query. I am also available for your follow-up queries.
Follow-up: Can nose blockage while indoors be treated ? 22 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Many thanks for your kind response. As advised I have stopped using Nasivion.i have just one query. I should have this steam inhalation how many times a day and for what duration.
Thanks and best regards
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

Thanks for your reply.

You have done yourself good by stopping Xylometazoline.

You may take steam inhalation before going to bed. The water has to be boiling hot and continue inhaling till you find relief or steaming is seen. It can be taken three four times a day also but as you have a problem, mainly while sleeping you may take it once at night.

I hope I have answered.

Wish you good health