Can norethisterone stop bleeding once periods have started?

I'm on birth control pills (yasminelle), and i have been for half a year. I have not missed a pill the last week or so, but i still got my period today! I think this is a combination of me forgetting to take them a while ago. and being nervous and excited about this weekend. You see, my boyfriend is getting back home for 4 days this weekend, and i haven't seen him in nearly a year! So my question is if there is any way i can stop my period untill he's gone again? I've heard about a drug called norethisterone, is there a chance that might work?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 20 minutes later
Hi Camilla,

Jasminelle is an Ethinylestradiol, which is a estrogen. It is normally used as an oral contraceptive pill.
Once the bleeding starts there is no way to stop it.

For how many days does your period last? According to my clinical judgement, the only hope for a pleasant weekend is that in three days (till week end) it will stop naturally.

Norethisterone would certainly not work once the periods have started. It is a progestogen and can certainly help in postponement of menses and most types of abnormal menstrual bleeding if taken well in advance.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Can norethisterone stop bleeding once periods have started? 1 hour later
What if i hadn't been on birth control pills? If i wasnt on birth control pills and my period came earlier than it was supposed to, would there be anything i can do? Just asking in case it happens again when i'm not on the pills!
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 2 hours later
Hi Camilla,

Good to hear from you again.

Even if you were not on any Birth Control Pill, there is no way to stop bleeding once it starts. In fact, because of the Birth Control Pill, there are proper hormonal levels as this pill contains female sex hormones. Periods would start three to four days after discontinuing Birth Control Pill.

We usually prescribe three cycles of Birth Control Pill in women who do not have regular periods because of low hormonal levels. Giving Birth Control Pill in such women regularizes their hormonal level and thus their periods. Here we are not utilizing Birth Control Pill for contraception but for regularizing their periods.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.