Ask a Urologist   »  

Can megamox 1g cause pinkish fluid discharge or slight bleeding from urinary tract in male?

Jul 2016

Hello, can antibiotic amoxycilin like Megamox 1g cause pinkish fluid discharge / slight bleeding from urinary tract in males? Megamox taken for 24 hours, was preceeded by Olfen injection
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Thanks for your query. Based on the facts hat
an you have posted you have noticed pink coloured discharge per Urethra after you have started taking Amoxycillin.
Amoxicillin is known to have some common minor side effects like confusion, insomnia,discolouration of teeth etc but never heard of causing bleeding from Urinary tract.
As regards the Olfen Injection that you took prior to taking Amoxicillin I shall be able to make any comment on Olfen only if you provide Pharmaceutical component of the drug. I could not search it.
Even if it causes please do not worry these are the minor side effects and will subside once you stop the drugs
To know the other reasons first get your routine test done to confirm the presence of RBC in urine.
Hope I have answered your query.Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Can megamox 1g cause pinkish fluid discharge or slight bleeding from urinary tract in male? 20 hours later
thank you

but please advise what are the different causes for bleeding / spotting from urethra?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up .
One of the commonest cause for slight bleeding from Urethra is Infection of the bladder (Cystitis) The second one is presence of stones in Urinary system either Kidney,Ureter or Bladder. However it is always associated with other symptoms like pain ,vomiting ,fever.etc.This can be confirmed by doing Ultrasound Scanning..
Thanks with Regards.