Ask a Urologist   »  

Can masturbation be causing brown patches on penis? Does it sound like penis cancer? Had oral sex

Question
i have seen the doctor about a big brown birth XXXXXXX type patch on my penis it is brown and covers 60-75% of the topside of my penis shaft, the doctor did not think much of it but i noticed a couple months back a brown patch that eventually fades into the colour of my skin as it spreads. it is located to the top left of my foreskin on the underside of my shaft. when i am erect the patch is not as dark as it is when i am flacid same with the birth XXXXXXX type patch. i masturbate 2 times a day sometimes 3 is this bad can this be causing the brown patches. i have researched abit on the internet and im getting worried it might be penile cancer im 16 nearly 17 does this sound like penile cancer or any other major disease or infection? i am sexually active but have not had penetrative sex only unprotected oral sex. this is kind of bugging me and playing on my mind and im getting worried. These brown patches do not give me any discomfort its just they do not look very appealing to look at. is there anyway to make these patches disappear or to make them not be as dark as they are now?

i have attached a image of my penis showing the patch at the top left side of my penis while the bigger patch is the "birth mark" type patch to the right
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 5 hours later

I have seen your image and it seems like the brown patches are just birth XXXXXXX and nothing serious.

The reason for the increase is because as your body develops the size of the organ increases and so does the XXXXXXX Since you do not have any symptom like pain, redness there is no reason to get worried. The skin looks light in color during erection due to stretching as compared to little darker when flaccid.

The skin XXXXXXX you have is a sort of pigmentation happened at birth and not penile cancer as you fear, so please relax and don't worry about it.

Regarding masturbation, it is normal thing to do at your age and does not cause any physical harm to your body. Care should be taken that you should masturbate only when you get sexually aroused and should not do it as a habit (the reason is it may mentally distract you from your regular studies which I guess is presently more important).

As it is by birth nothing much can be done to remove it permanently so do not get bogged down because of that. Lastly let me reassure you that it is normal and not cancer so relax.
In case of any queries or apprehension please write back and I should help you.

Please accept this answer if you do not have any further questions.

Follow-up: Can masturbation be causing brown patches on penis? Does it sound like penis cancer? Had oral sex 3 hours later
thank you for the answer it is very re assuring. i really appreciate it.

just one last thing what about the darkened area at the top of my shaft near/on the foreskin on the underside of my penis is this just skin pigmentation due to increase in hormones?

but thank you for the answer i really appreciate it

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 6 hours later
Hello;
Thanks for writing back.
The skin gets it color from a pigment called melanin. So wherever in the body the skin gets folded ( like in the elbows/knees), the area looks darker than the other surrounding skin.
This is a normal and natural thing and not due to an increase or decrease in hormones. I would like to reassure you that you are fine and there is no disorder that you have.
Just relax and do not worry about it.
I hope I have answered your query.
Please accept this answer if there are no further queries.