Ask a Urologist   »  

Can leukocytes in urine leads to bladder and kidney infection?

II went to see my doctor today about my leukocytes being +3. He said it wasn't bad enough for antibiotics. I'm afraid if it's a bladder infection it could progress to a kidney infection.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: in urinary tract infections, nitrites are seen Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic It is understandable to be concerned. Leucocytes in the urine can be indicative of an urinary tract infection but in that case the nitrites (also on the strip for urine testing) would normally also be positive. The bacteria that cause these infections cause urinary nitrates to change to nitrites which are detected by the urine dipstick test. The symptoms of urinary tract infection are frequency of urination, discomfort on urination, abdominal pain, fever. In severe cases there may also be nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting. If you are concerned, your urine sample can be sent to the lab to see if they can identify any bacteria in the urine. Some persons may have ' asymptomatic bacteriuria'. This means there may be bacteria in the urine but no symptoms are present. This is only treated if the lab identifies more than a certain amount of bacteria in the urine on at least 2 occasions. If you are having symptoms of an urinary tract infection then a sample should still be sent off but treatment should be started as soon as possible. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow-up: Can leukocytes in urine leads to bladder and kidney infection? 40 minutes later
Thanks for your thorough answer. I also have a fever of 38.5. I wonder if I could have a kidney infections with my nitrites normal
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: normally associated with urinary symptoms Detailed Answer: HI It would be unusual but can occur, but if you are experiencing urinary symptoms such as those mentioned above, it is possible that you have an infection. (passing urine more frequently, burning or discomfort on urination, change in the colour or odour of urine) In the absence of these symptoms then it is unlikely that you have urinary tract infection. Your doctor, in this case, would need to determine if there is another cause for your fever.