Can infants have gallstones?

Hi, I have 5 month baby Boy & since morning he is crying. For that reason wmy wife went to Pediatrician. He has suggested to do Sonograpy. After Sonography report is as attached
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 27 hours later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. It is very uncommon for infants to have gallstones. They are usually seen in children with risk factors like. -any hemolytic disease in baby or any family history. -family history of childhood gallstones. -child on parenteral nutrition for long time. Treatment of simple cholecystitis is symptomatic and surgery in case of asymptomatic gallstones is currently not standard practice (only exception is child with sickle cell anemia where surgery is indicated) Spontaneous resolution is most commonly observed in asymptomatic cases. I suggest you to be in regular follow up with your pediatrician. Who will accordingly refer you to pediatric surgeon for further management. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further question. Wishing your baby good health. God bless...
Follow-up: Can infants have gallstones? 14 hours later
Dr. Synthyia, Thanks for your inputs, We have consulted with Heamatologist & he suggested few blood test. Once report will come. Will share to for your advice. Sachin
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks XXXXXXX for your follow up. You are welcome . I will be waiting for your follow reports. Take care.