Can home made cough syrup be used for 2 years old for cough and cold?

Ayurveda Specialist
My Nephew is 2 years old and can the below medication be followed for Cough and Cold for him? Is that advisable ??

Home made cough syrup

You can also try this very simple and effective homemade cough syrup made from onion juice, lemon juice and honey. Mix 1-2 teaspoon of onion juice with 1-2 teaspoon of lemon juice. Pour little amount of water and allow it to boil, later add 1-2 teaspoon of honey into it. Keep this cough syrup aside for 5-6 hours and give a teaspoon of it to the patient at least two times in a day

Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes BUT need more details

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and following points need clarification before opting for the said medications

1. is cough of productive nature or dry in nature?
2. since cold is infection of the upper respiratory tract which means cough should be DRY in nature, but what is the observation of the parents. [because of the great number of viruses that can cause colds and because new cold viruses develop, children never build up resistance against all cold viruses.
3. make sure he is under supervision of pediatrician who have ruled out any bacterial infection and carried out chest examination also ??
4. honey is especially suited for dry cough problems whereas lemon is good for wet cough, whereas Onion contain irritating compounds that trigger the cough reflex and bring up mucus. [since going by his age, children usually swallow their phlegm, so is an effective home remedy to expel the mucus].
5. also give water,diluted juice and milk.
6. Making sure your child gets plenty of rest and using a humidifier will help to keep your child's nose and chest clear, making him easier to breathe.

.cold usually run their course from 7-14 days [so apart from giving the home made cough syrup keep the [time period] also in mind.
. do not give cold water, chilled food, sour fruits like citrus fruits, grapes, instead give sweet fruits like papaya,mango and mainly soft diet with non- spicy vegetables.
. make sure he is adequately breast fed which will provide natural immunity to him and his immunization schedule is complete [till date]

please revert back with your concerns

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant & Physician
Naimittika Clinic.
Follow-up: Can home made cough syrup be used for 2 years old for cough and cold? 19 hours later
Hello Dr. Munish,

Thanks for your reply, i don't have an answer for your asked questions. I will check and get back to you.

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I believe that the answer to these question(s) will be of great use to me in my future sessions.

I shall await your reply...

Dr. Munish Sood