Can getting periods after long time and after lumpectomy worrisome?

Infertility Specialist
Hi. I just had a lumpectomy and 6 nodes removed yesterday and been without a period for 14 months. Started my period this morning. Hope this doesn't indicate cancer to!? Stage 1 invasive I was dionosed with. Thank you!
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: biopsy Detailed Answer: Hi I know its worrying to get period after stopping for so long. I don't want to scare you but this needs to be evaluated. Hence follow my advice below 1. Get ultrasound scan done to check endometrial thickness, fibroids, polyp or mass. 2. Get examination and pap smear done by your gynecologist. 3. Get endometrial biopsy done to rule out cancer though unlikely it is better to be safe seeing your history. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol