Can get thrush even after having a hysterectomy?

Infertility Specialist
Can you still get thrush even after having a hysterectomy
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Vaginal thrush is caused by the overgrowth of a yeast-like fungus that lives naturally in the vagina.

Most cases of thrush – between 80 and 90% – are due to a type of fungus called Candida albicans.

The rest are due to other types of Candida fungi.

Up to half of women have Candida living naturally in their vagina without it causing any symptoms.

It's thought that there has to be a change in the natural balance of the vagina, which leads to an explosion in the growth of Candida that causes the symptoms of thrush.

This change can be a chemical change, such as when you take antibiotics, diabetic persons Or it can be a hormonal change or compromised immune function .

Hence it is unrelated to having a uterus or undergoing hysterectomy. Hysterectomy cannot prevent the infection with vaginal thrush.

Prevention involves following steps:

•Avoid sugar and alcohol at the onset and during an infection. Foods XXXXXXX in yeast and moulds such as mushrooms, bread, cheese and pickles in high quantities can also give rise to a Candida infection.

•Limit wearing pantyhose as much as possible and change to cotton underwear to allow the area to breath. Perspiration and heat will encourage bacterial growth.

•Be vigilant about personal hygiene. Use a front to back action with toilet paper to prevent re-infection.

•Antibiotics to be avoided as much as possible.

•Wash with water rather than soap.

•Avoided unnecessary douches, powders, sprays and deodorants.

•Use pads instead of tampons.

I hope I answered your question. Please accept my answer if no more queries.