Can fecal transplants be used to treat Crohn's disease?

Hi Dr., I hear about the procedure of fecal transplants. I understand it's fairly new and used for c-difficile. Can it be used to treat crohn's / colitis? Whats your opinion on trying that?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes FMT can be tried for Crohn's Colitis. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Yes fecal microbial transplantation can be tried for Crohn's colitis. Though it was initially found to very effective for treating recurrent C.diff infection, later it was found to be effective for inflammatory bowel disease also. But it is still not used commonly for treating IBD. If the conventional treatment is not providing good relief for you, you can discuss with your doctor for this treatment option. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini