Can encephalomalacia in the right frontal lobe lead to dementia?

Can encepholomalicia in the right frontal lobe lead to dementia ? In addition, can it result in a psychiatric disability?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes; and yes it may, but not always Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Yes sir, in addition to many other functions that can be lost when encephalomalacia is seen in the right frontal lobe, memory loss and dementia are also seen. As for the psychiatric disability, this is a very general description, and it would be difficult to explain this in length, which is why I think I shall list all the functions that the frontal region of the brain controls, they are: -Emotions -Humor -Word play -Problem solving -Understanding others feeling -Sarcasm and irony -Series of movements -Facial expressions -Mood -Memory -Sexual behavior -Judgement -Personalities So these functions can be deranged or completely lost depending on the exact location of the encephalomalacia affected region. I hope you found my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me if you have any further clarifications or if my I have not addressed you query accurately. I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.