Can depression be related to food allergies or intolerance?

Can depression be related to food allergies or intolerance to foods. I wish to find out a way of testing if the foods I am eating are causing depression. How do I check a leaking gut. Or if there are any problems in my small colon.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 9 hours later
Thank you for the query,
Food allergies are unlikely to cause only depression except when you are suffering from coeliac disease but it is usually associated with other symptoms of coeliac like diarrhoea, pain, weight loss, anemia.
Milk allergy is unlikely to cause depression.
Well if you still feel you need to rule it out worthwhile getting a stool routine examination, specialized tests like IgA Tissue transglutaminase antibodies and an endoscopy along with a duodenal biopsy to look for coeliac if you have any of the above mentioned symptoms after consulting a gastroenterologist.
Also worthwhile getting a thyroid test done as a cause of bowel symptoms and depression.
But I think you also need to consult a psychiatrist regarding same.
Do not worry as worrying will just further worsen you symptoms.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Can depression be related to food allergies or intolerance? 2 hours later
Thank for your reply doctor. Can u explain why I have severe gas and bloating. I am also unable to loose weight. The bloating occurs after eating weight and milk products.

Also can u recommend any means of cleaning the small colon, and through which means

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 10 hours later
Thank you for the query,
Gas bloating is related to fiber intake as well as water intake in addition to your life style. You need to reduce weight, not to sleep 2 hours after meals and exercise regularly. Avoid excess fiber and drink lot of water.
Also avoid milk products only if you feel the are worsening the problem.
Small bowel cleaning is not recommended by any means, need to a gastroenterologist to ascertain the cause of you symptoms.
Remember stress could be the basic cause of all these symptoms to need to handle it effectively.
Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recoverty. happy to help.