Can continuos cough be symptoms of whooping cough?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I have had a continuos cough for the past four weeks. I was given prednisone and cough sirup. During that time, I woke up in the night coughing, passed out and hit my head (a cut that bled). I called my primary doctor and had a chest X ray done because the coughing had not stopped and I pulled a muscle in my chest coughing. A week later, I called and asked if my X ray had been read and it had not, I was put on hold and cutoff with no follow up from their office. Today, I called again and the assistant said it was normal. My concern is it might be woofing cough after reviewing the symptoms online. I am upset at our primary doctor, their staff and lack of follow up. This has been going on to long.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Lung Cancer
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Less likely to be whooping cough Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. I can understand the distress you have gone through and inability to get well in-spite of prednisone and cough syrup. It is less likely to have whooping cough at your age. Do you have any of the members in the house been affected similarly? Was there a fever and production of flame ( expectoration)? Is there any history of smoking or exposure to scents or particles increasing your coughing? In case the x-ray is normal I would advice you to go through the tests of blood to see if white cell / eosinophile count is raised, blood sugar to rule out diabetes. I would like to add a course of antibiotic and anti-allergic medicines for which you need to consult a doctor as these are prescription medicines and by hearing to your breath sounds can diagnose few diseases like Asthma and check for associated findings. Waiting for your response,